Strand, often called The Strand, is just over three-quarters of a mile in length from its western origin at Trafalgar Square to its eastern end at Temple Bar where it continues into Fleet Street marking Westminster’s boundary with the City of London.
The name was first recorded in 1002 as Strondway, later in 1185 as Stronde and in 1220 as La Stranda. It is formed from the Old English word ‘strand’ meaning shore. Initially it referred to the shallow bank of the once much wider River Thames before the construction of the Victoria Embankment. The name was later applied to the road itself.
From the 12th century onwards large mansions lined the Strand including several palaces and townhouses inhabited by bishops and royal courtiers, mainly located on the south side, with their own ‘river gates’ and landings directly on the Thames. In the 19th century much of the Strand was rebuilt and the houses to the south no longer backed onto the Thames separated from the river by the Victoria Embankment constructed in 1865–70. This moved the river some 50 metres (160 ft) further away.
The Strand became a newly fashionable address and was one of the most elegant streets in London. Many avant-garde writers and thinkers gathered here among them Thomas Carlyle, Charles Dickens, William Makepeace Thackeray, John Stuart Mill, Herbert Spencer and the scientist Thomas Henry Huxley.
|The Savoy Hotel||140|
|The Royal Opera House||300|
|Covent Garden Underground||500|
|Charing Cross Station||550|
|Oxford Street||1 100|
|The House Of Parliment||1 500|
|Buckingham Palace||1 500|
|Old Bond Street||1 700|